Pageant

Have you ever wondered why Bathgate Procession has a Historical Pageant associated with it? This is because of the links that Bathgate has with King Robert the Bruce and his daughter Marjory.

The Historical Pageant was first introduced in 1925 and depicts the marriage of Princess Marjory to Walter Lord High Steward of Scotland. The town’s former castle was given as a dowry by King Robert the Bruce to his daughter as a wedding gift. They made the castle their main residence and Walter lived there until his death in 1328.

Bathgate’s coat of arms shows a heraldic depiction of the town’s former castle. The Latin motto around the coat of arms may be translated as meaning “For the common good”. The coat of arms shown in the photograph used to be seen decorating the front of Lindsay House in South Bridge Street. Of course this building is no longer there. The coat of arms design was based on the old burgh seal.

The characters for the pageant come from the local schools and each year the committee works hard to ensure that this long running tradition continues. The pageant takes place on Procession Day morning at 11:05am on the steps of the Old Academy building in Marjoribanks Street prior to The Procession parading through the town at 12 noon.

During The procession, Princess Marjory and Walter Lord High Steward can be seen in their open horse drawn carriage for all to see.